Wednesday, October 8, 2008

He's No Cesar

We've started taking obedience class with Moses but before we signed up, I researched most of the trainers this city has to offer. I ended up finding this one trainer who had extensive experience with bully. I was super excited to begin working and learning. Yesterday we had our 3rd class...however I'm sad to report we're practicing the same old thing. Walking around a bunch of chair, then asking our dogs to sit every 4 minutes. I fully understand the purpose of teaching heeling and sitting but for 3 classes in a row? I asked the trainer if we could do some private lesson in conjunction with our group lessons to work on some of my major concerns with Moses's behavour (ex jumping and nipping). I was told that whatever I would learn in the private lesson I would learn in the group. Oh ok, so now can you tell me why, we keep walking around in circles? It's very disappointing as Moses is extremely bord with the classes and chooses not participate. He'll just lay there, so the trainer told me not to feed him before class. No problem, I didn't feed him yesterday before class. He still just laid there, the trainer then told me I am not to allow him to play or go for a walk before class...wtf? I told the trainer he's not tired he's bord (just like me) . I know this because when the dogs are given a play break (which is two 10min breaks within an hour class) Moses is running with the rest of them. My partner keeps reminding me the trainer isn't Cesar Millan! Just to let you know I am obsessed with The Dog Whisperer...he's my mentor, my guru, my spiritual leader. To me he can do no wrong, everything he says about dog sociology, being the pack leader and calm assertive energy make total sense to me. If you don't know who he is check him out!

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Back to my rant....I just feel like I've wasted a bunch of money on some trainer who is teaching me nothing. I intend to finish the classes to the bitter end, I just wish I could find a trainer who is as passionate about his job as Cesar and didn't wast people's time and money.

If you have any tips or suggestions, let me know.

Sorry, no photos of Mosie today but here is some bully art I like











I'd like to introduce Brian the Bully...I just found him like 5 minitues ago and fell in love hard.

http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/play/?v=1

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey Mika,

We take Gibson to Ottawa Canine School (http://www.ottawak9school.com). Chantal is great. She has 2 rescue dogs she uses as the mature demo dogs, all types of breeds in the classes, and is a teacher/principal (can't remember) so her teaching techniques are very good and varied (i.e.: not boring--she does these great urban agility classes, super fun). However, it's a bit of a trek for you guys as it's at Critchton Community Centre in New Edinburgh. Anyways, we totally recommend it. Cheers, Jen, Leah, Gibson.