Friday, October 10, 2008

Not Recommended

I am a hot head, I'll admit it. I get very excited and passionate about topics that I feel strongly about. Case in point...BULL TERRIERS or not PIT BULLS. I love love love pit bulls, but sad to say to all you ignorant people out there that my Moses is not a pit bull.

Yesterday I contacted a local trainer to do some private lessons with here's what she wrote

Hello M,
Thank you for contacting Dogs in Harmony Obedience Training & Education. I offer a private service in the comfort of your own home and serve the areas of Nepean, Kanata,Richmond, Stittsville, Manotick and Ottawa West.

Before we go any further, may I ask, please, where you live? As you have a Bull Terrier puppy, I'm assuming it must be in Quebec. If not, is this breed not on breed-ban list for Ontario? I think so. [ http://www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org/dolafact.pdf ]http://www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org/dolafact.pdf

Please let me know.

Thanks

Lynn Hyndman
Dogs in Harmony Obedience Training & Education
613.851.7129
[ http://www.dogsinharmony.ca ]www.dogsinharmony.ca

Serving Nepean, Kanata, Richmond,
Stittsville,Manotick, Ottawa West

Are you effing kidding me? You're a professional? and you don't even know the difference between a bully and a pitty? What is this world coming to...ok ok, I know I'm hot headed and overly dramatic. But come on!

Here what I wrote back to her.

No, the breed is not on the ban list. Seeing as you are not informed about the breed, I will continue to look for another trainer.

Shazam...

Then I get this

Hello M,
I do apologize if I have offended you in any way. That was certainly not my intent.

As a trainer, I have found that since the headlines about this legislation have faded from the public mind, some people have taken on a new puppy in good faith but which does fall under the category of "....or a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to these dogs". Their legal liability is huge. That is the only reason I asked the question.

Having said that, you may indeed be right, and I stand corrected. My apologies.

Lynn Hyndman
Dogs in Harmony Obedience Training & Education
613.851.7129
[ http://www.dogsinharmony.ca ]www.dogsinharmony.ca

Serving Nepean, Kanata, Richmond,
Stittsville,Manotick, Ottawa West

Yes, I did get an apology but what does her ignorance say about even the professionals. Not much in my humble opinion. I would also like to argue that it is not out of the public's mind, as I face discrimination all the time about my dog being a "pit bull".

3 comments:

Pierre said...

Have you tried www.barkbusters.ca we have found them to be very patient and with a great guarantee policy..... and most of all they did not breed discriminate. We too have a new Bully named Dyson. He is a brother of Moses.

We have had 2 other Bullies as well (actually Derk just past away on Friday). Our experience is that these dogs learn best from example and socialization with other (well behaved) dogs does wonders for them. These dogs need their mind exercised for them to be content.

Your very lucky to have Moses. Good luck with your training.

Pierre and Valerie

Bullie named Moses said...

thx very much for your comment!
If you ever want to get together for a play date...let me know! but I have a feeling you live far away.

Jen said...

That's nuts. I just looked at her site and she owns a German Shepherd. Anyone who remembers even a fragment of the '70s remembers that shepherds had the same reputation as pitties do today. It comes down to early training, duh--especially for a trainer and the fact that the problem is dangerous dogs of all types, not anyone breed. NOT Moses' breed specifically and DEFINITELY not Moses!

Any breed can be a threat, did I tell ya the one about how Gibs (Bearded Collie) scared the **** out of ALL the professionals at the groomers. Little biter (literally) is getting intensive training around brushing *sigh*